Don’t Let Bad Breath Silence Your Social Life
In family dentistry settings, chronic bad breath, or halitosis, is a common complaint. No one wants to offend loved ones or coworkers with smelly breath, and the condition isn’t always easy to treat. In many cases, there’s an underlying cause for halitosis that requires lifestyle changes or even professional dental care. Five common causes of bad breath are:
1. Dental infections. Oral infections and decaying teeth may produce bad breath. Your family dentistry practitioner can recommend the best treatment to resolve underlying dental problems.
2. Dry mouth. When there isn’t enough saliva to remove food particles and oral bacteria, you’re likely to develop bad breath. Use products intended to treat dry mouth, or consult your doctor or an affordable dentist for advice.
3. Tobacco. Bad breath is virtually inevitable if you use tobacco in any form including cigarettes, cigars, snuff, and chewing tobacco. When you’re ready to give up tobacco, ask your doctor or dental care provider for support.
4. Pungent foods. Garlic, onions, and cheeses can cause temporary bad breath. While your body is still processing the foods, there is little you can do to stop the smell. Avoiding stinky foods is the only cure.
5. Illness. A more serious cause of bad breath is an infection or illness somewhere in the body. If your family dentistry professional doesn’t detect any oral problems, see your doctor to rule out possible medical reasons for your halitosis.
Fortunately, there’s usually a way to solve the problem. Proper dental care, including brushing twice a day and flossing daily, can resolve many mild cases of bad breath. However, if your halitosis is due to an oral infection or a dental problem, it won’t go away without medical attention.
If you’re skipping professional dental care because you don’t have dental insurance, find an affordable dentist and ask about payment options. Family dentistry professionals can treat tooth problems or prescribe an antimicrobial rinse to end your bad breath and restore your confidence.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Reading, call Gentle Dental of Reading today at (484) 334-2592 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Reading. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Reading, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Reading.