The Best Dental Care Tips for Kids
Children aren’t born knowing how to take care of their teeth. Parents need to help their kids develop good dental care habits so they can have a healthy smile. Find the best dentist for your kids and use these expert tips to start them on a healthy dental path.
Big Dental Care Steps for Little Kids
When should parents start taking care of their child’s teeth? The best dentist professionals say that dental care should start in infancy, even before the child has any teeth. They advise using water or gauze to gently clean the baby’s gums, as well as using a soft toothbrush and water to brush the baby’s first few teeth. But most dentists recommend these dental care guidelines:
- 1 Year Old: A child’s first visit to a pediatric dentist should occur by their first birthday. Ask their pediatrician and other parents to recommend an affordable dentist for kids.
- 2 Years Old: Parents need to start teaching their child how to brush their teeth.
- 6 Years Old: The majority of kids start getting their permanent teeth around this time.
- 7 Years Old: Once kids start acquiring their permanent teeth, they should be able to brush on their own.
- All the Time: Throughout these years, parents should be teaching and encouraging good dental care to help kids develop healthy habits.
Dental Hygiene Hints to Teach to Children
Parents are responsible for helping their child develop good dental care habits. But many parents don’t know where to begin, so dentists suggest these practices for teaching kids how to care for their teeth:
- Kids need to brush their teeth twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed.
- If the child eats or drinks something sugary, have them drink water or brush their teeth after afterward.
- Children should brush for two full minutes with a tiny, pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Kids should floss at least once a day, but parents need to teach them how to floss safely and properly.
- Parents must promote healthy snacking and offer snacks high in calcium to build stronger teeth.
- Find an affordable dentist and take your child for regular visits. While at-home care is essential for a healthy smile, find the best dentist in Reading to detect problems, perform treatments, and provide knowledgeable advice.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Reading, call Gentle Dental of Reading today at (484) 334-2592 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Reading. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Reading, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Reading.