What Kind of Toothpaste is Right for You?
When it comes to dental care products, toothpaste is one of the most important components of proper dental hygiene for kids and adults. It cleans and polishes your teeth and removes bacteria and plaque that cause gum disease, dental decay, and bad breath. Toothpastes contain various ingredients that work in different ways. Detergents produce foaming action to better remove plaque and food particles. Abrasives help remove stains, and fluoride strengthens and protects teeth. The toothpaste you choose should reflect your personal dental care needs. Since there are so many types on the market, narrowing down your options can be difficult. Here is a rundown of the various types of toothpastes available for your consideration.
- Whitening toothpastes remove stains with mild abrasives or chemicals.
- Tartar-control toothpastes can’t remove tartar, but they can prevent it from accumulating.
- Toothpaste for sensitive teeth creates a barrier to help prevent irritants from reaching sensitive, exposed nerves.
- Fluoride toothpastes strengthen teeth by remineralizing them to counteract the effects of acid. Most commercial toothpastes contain fluoride, and many dentists recommend them for patients without a fluoridated public water supply.
- Smokers’ toothpaste contains abrasives to remove stains, but they can damage delicate teeth and gums.
- Natural toothpastes are designed for people who prefer all-natural ingredients to chemicals. They may or may not contain fluoride.
- Children’s toothpastes make dental hygiene for kids more appealing. They usually feature colorful, kid-friendly themes and mild flavors.
Important Toothpaste Tips
To get the most from your toothpaste, you must use it properly.
- When you brush, hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle tilted towards your gums.
- Use gentle, circular strokes, and brush for two full minutes.
- Brush at least twice each day with a soft-bristled toothbrush that won’t hurt your gums.
Get a Professional Opinion
If you need help deciding on a toothpaste brand or type, schedule an appointment with an affordable dentist. After taking a look at your teeth and gums, your dentist in Reading can determine the type of dental care product that will best meet your needs, and make a recommendation.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Reading, call Gentle Dental of Reading today at (484) 334-2592 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Reading. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Reading, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Reading.