Best Brushing Techniques for Beautiful Teeth and Healthy Gums
If there is one thing in life you are certain you can do right, it’s probably brushing your teeth. After all, it’s one of the first habits parents instill in their children and after years and years of experience, it’s a no-brainer. While tooth brushing may be an easy task, use of proper brushing techniques are not followed as often as you might imagine. Using the proper brushing techniques can mean the difference between an award-winning smile and a toothless grin late in life. Improper dental care causes bacteria and plaque, leading to dangerous tartar buildup. Tartar leads to tooth decay and gum disease and nobody wants to deal with those conditions. Follow these tips for the best techniques for brushing your teeth.
How to Brush Your Teeth
Most dental care experts agree that these tips and techniques for brushing your teeth will help to preserve optimal health of your teeth and gums:
- Timing is everything. Family dentistry practitioners recommend brushing your teeth for a minimum of two minutes to remove bacteria and food particles.
- Divide and conquer. Divide your mouth into four sections and spend equal time and effort brushing each section.
- Brush all of your teeth. Brush hard-to-reach areas and sensitive teeth. If it hurts to brush an area, see an affordable dentist in Reading.
- Round and round. Use a gentle circular motion instead of vigorous up-and-down brushing to avoid damaging your teeth and gums.
- Use the right tools. Replace your toothbrush every three to four months to ensure that your toothbrush can effectively clean your teeth and gums.
Using the Right Tools for Proper Tooth Brushing
If you aren’t using the right set of tooth brushing tools, the proper dental care technique means nothing. Choose the right toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss to keep your mouth clean and healthy:
- Use ADA-recommended products. Look for the American Dental Association seal of approval on your dental care products.
- Maximize the potential of your products. Choose oral care products that offer several benefits to care for your teeth. This can make daily dental care more affordable, by avoiding an excessive number of products. Select toothpastes with multiple functions, such as fighting cavities, plaque, tartar and gingivitis, whitening teeth and reducing bad breath. Consider a using a toothbrush that double as a tongue scraper.
- Stock your toolbox. Don’t forget dental care products like mouthwash to guard against plaque and gingivitis, or floss to remove trapped food particles.
Remember, brushing keeps your teeth in good condition, but proper tooth brushing keeps your teeth in excellent condition.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Reading, call Gentle Dental of Reading today at (484) 334-2592 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Reading. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Reading, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Reading.