Dinnertime and New Dentures – How to Cope
It’s easier than ever to replace broken or missing teeth with the help of an affordable dentist, but it takes time to get used to wearing dentures. Whether you have a new denture implant, or you’ve got a full or partial set of affordable quality dentures, you’ll probably need to alter your eating habits until you’re accustomed to your new teeth. When you bite or chew, your mouth will feel different, and eating certain foods may take some practice. Here are a few tips to try while you adjust.
Eating Tips for New Denture Wearers
- When you first start eating with dentures, choose soft foods like eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, cooked vegetables, chopped meats, fish, and pudding. As you adjust, you can add other foods back into your diet in small quantities.
- When you’re ready to try chewier or harder foods, cut them into very small pieces and eat slowly.
- To even out the pressure on your dentures and reduce the risk of slippage, chew half of the food in your mouth on the back-left side of your teeth and half on the back-right side.
- While wearing dentures, your mouth is less sensitive to heat and cold. To avoid burning your mouth or throat, eat carefully, and test the temperature of foods or beverages with your fingers first if you’re not sure how hot something is.
- Don’t worry if your sense of taste is not as sharp as before—this is normal. Because your mind is overwhelmed by the new sensations of wearing dentures, it may seem that food has lost its flavor. As you become accustomed to your dentures, your taste buds will start working again.
- If you have a denture implant, avoid hard foods like nuts and popcorn, and consume foods at room temperature or slightly warm.
- When you’re ready to bravely tackle steak or corn on the cob, consider using a denture adhesive to help keep your dentures more secure and avoid embarrassing slips.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Reading, call Gentle Dental of Reading today at (484) 334-2592 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Reading. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Reading, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Reading.