You Can Manage and Prevent Dental Emergencies
Emergency dentistry professionals see broken teeth, lost fillings, and painful mouth injuries every day, and they’ll tell you that the most important thing you can do in dental emergencies is get help fast. When dental accidents and injuries strike, a quick response can mean the difference between saving a tooth and losing it. The first person to call is your family dentist in Reading. If he or she doesn’t have an after-hours number, and there’s no emergency dental clinic near you, visit your local hospital emergency room. Be sure to take the tooth or crown with you if it has fallen out.
Helpful Tips from Emergency Dentists
- For a toothache, rinse your mouth with warm water, and use dental floss to carefully remove any food or foreign objects lodged between your teeth. Don’t put aspirin on your teeth or gums, and don’t try to remove an object from your teeth with a sharp instrument. If the pain persists, see your dentist in as soon as you can.
- If a permanent adult tooth is knocked out, be sure to keep it moist. Try to place the tooth back in its socket without touching its root. If this is impossible, store it between your cheek and gums, or place it in milk. Get to your dentist’s office as soon as possible.
- For broken or cracked teeth, rinse your mouth with warm water to remove debris. If swelling is present, apply a cold compress, and see your dentist promptly.
- For tongue, lip, and cheek bites, clean the area carefully with water and use a cold compress to reduce pain and swelling. If you are bleeding heavily, seek emergency care.
Preventing Dental Emergencies
- Never use your teeth to open bottle caps or cut things. Use scissors or bottle openers instead.
- Never bite into ice or chew hard candies, popcorn kernels, and other hard foods, which can cause your teeth to crack.
- Always wear a mouth guard during sports activities.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Reading, call Gentle Dental of Reading today at (484) 334-2592 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Reading. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Reading, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Reading.